Behind-the-scenes with Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show Founder, Barry Jenkins
Discover more, live more, enjoy more!
InterContinental Concierge, Rachel Lavery, catches with up Barry Jenkins.
Whether you’re a sailing aficionado or slave to the glamour, the Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show (SCIBS) will be arriving in true style for four days this 25 to 28 May 2017 in the heart of the Sanctuary Cove Marina.
With an expected 40,000 visitors, hundreds of exhibitors and thousands of possibilities for adventure – where do you start? We caught up with SCIBS Founder, Barry Jenkins, to unlock the best tips, tricks and insider information to get the most out of this year’s Boat Show.
Barry’s first words to me: “This is the Boat Show of boat shows!” It set the tone for the entire conversation with Barry as he oozes the vibrancy and excitement of SCIBS, 29 years on.
Rachel: What sets SCIBS apart from other boat shows in the region?
Barry Jenkins: Everything! As well as being Queensland’s longest running on-water boat show, our location certainly sets us apart. The unique community, natural beauty, the marina and of course the Marine Village, all come together to offer one unique destination. People come to see the latest and the greatest and this is what we deliver. The Marine Village is also an exceptional place with the best of restaurants, bars & cafes, retail shops and boutiques, entertainment and more. There is quite genuinely nothing like it.
SCIBS is also where it all happens! The marina and village precincts are the places to do business; we have the industry experts and specialists here where you will get the very best advice. These guys know the industry inside-out and it’s where you will discover how the boating world works – especially if you are interested in buying a boat.
Rachel: What are five things that people cannot afford to miss?
Barry Jenkins: This is hard to narrow down to five! I would have to say…
1. The premieres! There will be a range of new models on the water this year that you cannot miss. Keep an eye out for the latest catamarans and yachts and first-time release and supercar vehicles. (But don’t forget to dive deeper and catch the hottest gadgets and accessories and electronics).
2. Spoil yourself at the Top Deck VIP lounge. This is the ultimate experience and will give you priority access to the best of our exhibitors, complimentary food and beverages, and entertainment.
3. Super Car Street is always a favourite. You will find the very best of Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Porsche and more. (You will also most likely find me there satisfying my 006 fantasies!)
4. The kids (and kids at heart) will love the Captain Jack Sparrow kid’s zone. Captain Jack Sparrow himself will be there from 9am to 1pm.
5. Definitely go and visit the Sea World Research & Rescue team. These guys are incredible. They will have an 18 metre rescue vessel which you can hop on and explore. I believe there is also a rescued turtle aboard!
Rachel: If you could give three top tips to surviving SCIBS, what would you offer?
Barry Jenkins: Wear comfy shoes and bring sunscreen! Come early, stay late, and don’t forget to experience a waterfront restaurant or two. For me, it’s all about exploring through the first day, dining and reflecting – then coming back with a plan to do a deal the next day!
Rachel: And, you’re favourite part of Boat Show?
Barry Jenkins: Can I say everything? For me specifically, I’d have to say the trawler yachts. I love their design and the possibilities they offer – particularly for long range cruising.